Monday, November 12, 2007

Tonight's the Night


Neil Young - "Tonight's the Night"

Tonight is indeed the night I have awaited for a while now. I am going to see Neil Young at the Chicago Theatre. Neil's influence on me personally is pretty large, but his influence on songwriting and music as a whole is incalculable. His songs are full of universal truths and witticisms phrased so accurately and cleverly it's impossible not to fall prey to his words. Without a doubt, one of the best songwriters of all time (#2 on my list), Neil is one of the few "old guys" still putting out decent records. His new one, "Chrome Dreams II" ain't half bad, but the tune I have posted here is the title track from 1975's drunken masterpiece, "Tonight's the Night." A sloppily jammed elegy, the song disgusted most listeners upon its release but continues to enchant them today.

I'll get back to posting about some newer artists soon, so if you're reading this, thank you.

No comments: